10 Essential Qualities of Great Content Marketing Managers
1. They love to write: This one goes without saying, but it’s a BIG deal. And remember, “writing” online isn’t just about fancy words. It’s about clean communication—done in a way so that just about any reader can understand what’s being said. As I always say, great writers and communicators don’t try to sound smart, which is never the goal of content marketing. Rather, they seek “communion,” and it’s this quality that makes them great.
2. They are skilled at editing: When companies leverage their existing employees to produce textual and video content (in-sourcing), the initial product can at times be “rough”. But great content managers can take what is a “5” in terms of quality and make it a “9” or “10”—doing their best to make the original source as clear and concise as possible for the reader.
3. They have excellent interview skills: This is HUGE. Because in-sourcing is such a big deal these days, subject matter experts are spread out all over companies, big and small. A great content marketing manager understands how to sit down with these people (and vendors as well) and ask the right questions to stimulate content that teaches, helps, and informs readers.
4. They embrace social media and “get it:” It goes without saying that social media is here to stay. Furthermore, it goes without saying those people that “don’t like” social media tend not to do incredible things when trying to build traffic, leads and sales through said media
5. They have solid video editing skills: Video just keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger. Video is way more important than text when it comes to producing a heavy amount of content while attempting to utilise employees, especially those persons in the sales department.
6. They are extremely likeable: Well, amongst the many reasons some content creators are wildly successful has to do with their likeability factor. When it comes down to it, unlikable people make AWFUL content marketing managers.